Hypnobirthing visualisation during the birth...
Most people tend to find visualisation happens fairly spontaneously during birth. Ruby, who did the online course says:
"I remained calm and imagined my baby floating towards me in a moses basket down a small stream, and every time the contractions got stronger I imagined the waves bringing him closer to me, which made me smile"
Second time mum Sara says:
"I imagined with each contraction that I was blowing up different coloured balloons for my 3 year old’s next birthday party! This took me to a completely different “world” in my head and I really felt my body take over as I was able to release myself from my “thinking brain” (something I struggled to do with the last birth). My husband was surprised that I was pretty silent for the majority of my labour!"
Maybe you could experiment with a few visualisations during your 'practising contractions' or 'affirmations' MP3... Perhaps your birth partner could remind you of these on the day. Some other useful visualisations are below, though the choices are as infinite and varied as our imaginations!
- Imagining the journey of the breath down to your baby - perhaps golden light swirling around your belly
- Breathing in golden / favourite colour air then breathing away tension / stress coloured air
- Imagining your body is opening like a flower, e.g. a rose
- Visualising the 'mechanics' of birth, e.g. the cervix softening, opening, the uterus muscles etc
- Imagining your baby is in a basket / papoose out to sea - each wave you can see in the distance represents the contractions that are bringing you closer. You swim / bodyboard / surf up each one, reaching the peak and then down again as it disappears behind you
- Visualise each breath blowing up a beautiful coloured balloon
- Some people just like to imagine enjoying their favourite place in nature - and one mum told me she imagined that lovely feeling of climbing into a comfy warm bed at the end of a busy day
- Imagine meeting your baby to help keep you going... watch the 'welcoming our babies' video below ♡